Monday, November 9, 2020

A Review of Bucket List (Geo-Bucket List) Completions

In this March 2015 post, I included a number of geological-places-of-interest, with the lower-48 states that I would like to visit or revisit, if personal responsibilities, time, and budget realities allow.  (I am primarily doing this post to include photos from most of those "completed" list items.)

Perhaps stated in "elsewhere writings" (or in future pontifications), having an informal or formal "Bucket List" can be a "vessel" for personal inspiration, especially after completing the first few items.  (As self-doubt is a major impediment to personal improvements, almost any positive motivation is good.)  

If that inspiration spurs you on to improve your life, that's good, in my humble opinion.  But beyond that personal (endorphin-driven?) energy-burst and inspiration, if it is not used to teach (or otherwise improve the lives of) others, then it is sort of an exercise in self-indulgence.  In other words, share your experience in some fashion (unless it is deeply personal).

My concurrent intentions for the 2015 and 2016 trips were to do science photography and note-taking for use in my now-erstwhile college-teaching "career".  As with other part-timers, I was forever consigned to "adjunct island" within sight of, but never to be reassigned to the "full-time mainland".  Despite being warned by a former coworker, I assumed that after repeated semesters of teaching, I would have "paid enough dues" to at least warrant an interview for a full-time position.

Yeah, it's a little bit of "sour grapes", but it is also a warning to others to have a "five-year plan", i.e., an escape route due to the propensity of certain institutions to "use and discard" adjuncts.  (I am certainly not alone.  And not having that five-year plan is certainly my naive fault.)  But, so it goes.

In the aftermath of Spring 2015 personal tumult and family changes, I managed to make three driving roundtrips between Atlanta and Phoenix, two in the summer of 2015 and one in the summer of 2016.  

A significant number of these were things I had "missed" during previous travels and field trips due to not having a decent camera particularly in 1973 and 1974, camera malfunctions in 1977 and 1979, screwups in 1982 travels, or not being able to stop during family trips.

So, in no particular order, here are the personal successes of the 2015/2016 travels (the original explanations of reasons and intentions are in the March 2015 post):

Monument Valley, AZ/UT.  

Figure 1.  "The Mittens" 2015 Arizona Trip #1.

Figure 2.  Where Forrest Gump got tired of running.  2015 Arizona Trip #2.

Monument Valley was a vitally-important "Bucket List" item, because while I was working in NW New Mexico during Summer 1979, I really didn't know that I was within driving distance.  Also, my parents visited here in 1980 during their final vacation, prior to my Dad's passing that November.  I am so glad that I had the opportunity to make at least two short visits for photos.

Figure 3.  One of my Dad's 1980 35 mm slides, with educational captions added.

Figure 4.  A surprise bonus, the "Elephant Feet" along U.S. 160, east of the Dinosaur Tracks at Moenave, AZ.  On the way from Flagstaff to Kayenta (Monument Valley).

Grants, New Mexico basalt flows.  

On several family vacations to visit in-laws in NM and AZ, I passed by the Grants Basalt Flows.  But as there is some hazard in parking your family alongside an interstate, I had to pass up this site (spread along a few miles of I-40 west of Albuquerque).  During 2015 Arizona Trip #2, after leaving Albuquerque, I made several brief photo-stops.  

Figure 5.  Ropy "pahoehoe" texture on the basalt-flow surface.
Figure 6.
Figure 7.

Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field, NE New Mexico. 

(Visited during 2015 Arizona trip #2.)  Originally planned as an extension of a 2010 family vacation, but changes had to be made in the schedule.

Figure 8.  Capulin Volcano, a large cinder cone.

Figure 9.  Sloped layers of Cinders on Capulin Volcano.

Figure 10.  Mud Hill volcano (with wooded rim) and Baby Capulin volcano (small cinder cone in the near-right background).

Sunset Crater, Flagstaff, AZ area.  Despite having visited the Grand Canyon in 1973, 1974, 1978, and several times after the year 2000, to my regret, I didn't visit Sunset Crater.  I took care of that during 2015 Arizona Trips #1 and #2.  

Though climbing the slopes of the large cinder cone is strictly forbidden (because of erosion concerns), there is plenty to see around the base of the 900-year-old volcano.

Figure 11.  Sunset Crater view from the East.

Figure 12.  Sunset Crater view from the West.

(Reminder, these are in no particular order.) 

Palo Duro Canyon, Texas.  

As it is a bit of a "side trip" from I-40 and other East-West interstates, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, the second-largest canyon in the United States (in terms of area) is somewhat overlooked.  I don't recall if it was National Geographic magazine that awakened me or something else.

Figure 13.  This photo was taken near the Visitor Center.

Figure 14.  This telephoto view is from approximately the same location as the previous photo.  

Palo Duro Geo-Walk video was posted December 9, 2019.  For more RV-related videos posted a little earlier today, look here, here, and here.

Arches National Park, Moab, UT area.  

Because of camera glitches on two previous trips to Arches National Park (1977 and 1979), leaving me with zero photos, I had to try one more time.  On the way from my previous night's stay in Beaver, Utah, I made numerous geo-photo stops primarily along I-70 that morning, getting me to the Park midday, hoping "the third time would be the charm" (it was). 

Figure 15.  The Three Gossips.

Figure 16.  Parade of Elephants.

Figure 17.  Turret Arch.

Figure 18.  Windows Arches. 

Figure 19.  South Window Arch.

Figure 20.  Double Arches.  As I was walking towards the shade of the Double Arches, someone was playing a violin (very well).  It was a welcomed surprise.
 
Figure 21.  Delicate Arch from about 1/4 of a mile, with a telephoto lens.  

It being early August, I decided that not making the hike to Delicate Arch was the more prudent move.  (I don't recall if it was a three-hour hike or a three-mile hike, in the heat, I didn't care.)

Figure 22.  I have my own photos of "Park Ave", but I chose this one (by a friend) because it was "dressed up" with the educational captions.

As I was driving out of the park in the late afternoon, I breathed a huge sigh of relief, as I had conquered the "photo demon" which previously kept me from getting any Arches National Park photos.  Success!

Vicksburg, MS loess.   Just to touch it, just to feel it and its texture.  

Figure 23.

Figure 24.

Figure 25.

Loess (pronounced "lerse") is a somewhat loosely-compacted fine silt, thought to be of Eolian (windblown) origin, of Pleistocene age. 

The K-T Boundary, anywhere.  

In the hills above Raton, New Mexico is this particular K-T Boundary monument. 

Figure 26.

Figure 27.

Figure 28.

Figure 29.  

I was expecting to see a discreet light-colored clay layer, but I could not find it.  As I couldn't "put my finger" on the K/T Boundary, I did the "next best thing".  In the fading sunlight, I slid down the slope, so at least I dragged my butt across the K/T Boundary.

(I'm sure you did not need that mental image.)

Part 2:

Shiprock, NM.  [Update:  Did this Late-July, 2015.]

Addendum:

(Things I forgot to add.)

Monahans Sandhills

Dinosaur Tracks (in no particular location)

No comments:

Post a Comment