Saturday, November 14, 2020

My 2015 and 2016 Encounters With U.S. Hwy. 66 - Part 2

When I returned home at the conclusion of "2015 Arizona Trip #1", I was glad to be there, but still struck by the sudden, awesome (overwhelming) silence of an almost "empty nest", I decided that I had to get out again.  My daughter was married and living in Phoenix, my son was working, and my wife was gone.  I needed to get out and go west again.  

This time was a chance to visit some long-bypassed Geology stops, to stop and take photos any time I pleased, maybe take in two or more Bucket List items, and to engage in much needed "driving and crying".

Once I decided to make the second journey as a solo trip, I began to feel as if, the longer it took me to leave town, the more likely I was to "take the safe choice" and just stay home.  So I had to "fight the fear".  

In 2009, I had planned on visiting the Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field during our summer vacation, but last-minute changes nixed that plan, so that was "on the list", as was Palo Duro Canyon, south of Amarillo, necessitating the taking of I-40 on the westward leg of the journey.  Within the westward I-40 corridor, Route 66 "joined" in Oklahoma City.

A quick perusal of the website of the Brewery Collectibles Club of America showed an upcoming show in Albuquerque, so the first part of my itinerary was coming together with that firm date, what remained was to fill in a few details.  

As a glitch in my daughter's Apple laptop had caused me to lose my Sunset Crater photos (during the first trip), I had to go back and spend a bit more time there.  So, early planning had me traveling through the Route 66 cities of Oklahoma City, Amarillo, Albuquerque, and Flagstaff before heading south to Phoenix.

As usual, the day before and the day of departure were helter-skelter, with picking up the rental car, packing the car, doing laundry, running the dishwasher, making sure that the cameras and laptop were packed, along with tripods, maps, Geology guidebooks, wildflower books, rock hammer, snacks, ice chest, boots, and a couple of 12-packs of Georgia craft beers to swap at the Albuquerque show, and an iPod with a portable speaker.  

About 1:00 PM on departure day (July 14, 2015), I remembered I had purchased four Cherokee Purple heirloom tomato plants and I had to get them in the ground.  By 2:00, they were planted and surrounded by supporting tomato cages.  After a quick shower and a sandwich, I again bid adieu to home at 3:00 PM.  It was OK, I was beating the Atlanta afternoon rush hour, though by a slim margin.

Fortunately, traffic was not a problem along I-20, and the Camry was a fast, easy-driving car.  The first Alabama stop was Golden Rule Barbeque at the Irondale exit and to save time, I had dinner in the parking lot.  Afterward was a quick gas stop, then back onto I-20 across Birmingham for a short hop to the U.S. Hwy 78 exit (towards Memphis).  

[As the early miles of U.S. Hwy 78/I-22 are through the vicinity of old coal mines, there are numerous outcrops of Pennsylvanian sandstones and shales which, at the proper localities, might yield plant fossils as they do in Dade County, Georgia.  But that had to wait for a future trip, as daylight was rapidly slipping away and it was raining.]

Despite the late start, I made the 300 miles to Tupelo that first day.  I made plans to leave out early the next day and get as far past Oklahoma City as I could.  Other than gas stops and perhaps one beer stop, the only "must-do" stop was a local burger place in Russellville, Arkansas.  

Included in this "road food" post... "C-J's Butcherboy Burgers, Russellville, Arkansas.  (Second Trip 2015)  I had noticed the name on the blue interstate sign for Exit 81, on I-40 through Russellville, AR on a previous trip between GA and OK and I had made a mental note about stopping in the future.  C-J's had appeared on a random internet article "Best Burger Joint in Each State" (or something like that) as Arkansas' best.  Just a good solid, fresh hamburger."  

For that day, forward motion was the most important goal.  I skipped lunch, finally stopping at Braum's Ice Cream & Dairy in El Reno, OK for a burger, and to check the map.  While getting from the exit to the restaurant, I incidentally (and briefly) followed a bit of Route 66.  I decided to forge on a bit longer, westward after El Reno, setting Weatherford, OK as my goal.  I made a quick phone call to secure a motel room and headed out for the final 44 miles that day.

When I rolled into the Best Western Inn in Weatherford, about 45 minutes before sundown, I had covered 650 miles that day.  "Not bad for an old guy", but I was too worn out to go any further.  The 525 Main Street address was part of Route 66.  Tomorrow was to be my first day of "seeing some stuff" (primarily Palo Duro Canyon State Park).  

No comments:

Post a Comment