Friday, November 27, 2020

For Those Dropping By ...

Being somewhat "trapped indoors" this year by the pandemic - aside from normal routine responsibilities - I have had an inordinate amount of time to think about my geologic past and what I might want to do if future opportunities present themselves.  Perhaps an informal Bucket List (or Geo-Bucket List), if you will.  (I have blogged about this more-than-once.)

One of my major goals is to revisit The Crater of Diamonds State Park near Murfreesboro, Arkansas one more time (hopefully during cool weather).  I found a 37-point (.37 carat) "white" (clear) diamond on my first visit in 1973 (but lost it during 2011 home renovations).  Subsequent visits were made in 1978, 1984, and 2015 with no such luck.  While there in spring 1978, a couple from Dallas, Texas screening gravel near us found a brown 4-carat diamond and I got to hold it.

For those unfamiliar with the place, it is the ONLY operating diamond mine open to the public worldwide.  (Think about that.)  After you pay your $10 entrance fee, you can keep anything you find.  Anything.  That being said, there are no guarantees about finding anything, but if you do some advance preparation, it might increase your chances.

Here is a partial list of short videos and my blatherings about Diamonds and how to find them, with additional videos being posted (usually one per day, except for October 14, 2020, when I posted a flurry of 11 videos) as I found them on YouTube.

Other repeat and random posts are on the subjects of Gold (as several ancestors were involved in the 19th century Georgia and California Gold Rushes), travels on U.S. Hwy 66 (aka Route 66), the Chihuahuan Desert (where I lived while in El Paso from 1977 - 1991), and the U.S. travel writer William Least Heat-Moon.  So my primary goals are to entertain and inform.

No comments:

Post a Comment