Monday, December 9, 2019

Geo-Walk: Palo Duro Canyon, Texas



Despite living in El Paso from 1977 - 1991, I had to leave Texas before I heard of Palo Duro Canyon, in the Panhandle.  I finally got to visit there during my 2nd Arizona Trip of 2015.

[Some of the background and reasons for my four "recent" travel episodes (2015 - 2017)  between Atlanta and Phoenix have been recounted elsewhere on this blog and in my "geo-travel blog", "Itinerant Geologist".  At some point, I will post a "mini-index" for anyone interested in the recent half-decade and how I managed to retrieve and save images and memories that can be used for "educational purposes", even if it is to avoid my numerous mistakes.] 

The primary goals of the 2nd Arizona trip of 2015 were; 1) To temporarily escape Georgia and decompress after my first wife's passing a couple of months earlier; and 2) To get to Phoenix and help my daughter's family get settled after their move.  My son had a job and a car, and as he often enjoyed solitude, he was OK back home in Georgia.

I wish I could have spent more than half a day at Palo Duro Canyon, but the Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field and dino tracks at Clayton Lake State Park (NE New Mexico) were waiting for me the next day and a beer can show in Albuquerque the day after. 

[As my schedule allows, I will post some of my photos.]

No comments:

Post a Comment