Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Index to "What a Geologist Sees", #1 - #20

 I began blogging in February 2005, in the aftermath of the suicide of "gonzo journalist" Hunter S. Thompson.  I sort of "fell into it", I was reading a geology blog and I figured out that "Hey, this is free!", so I decided to "dive in".  

As mentioned below, for the first few years, it was a mixture of politics and science.  Long about 2011, I decided to dump "the politics" and focus on the Geology and related "outdoor" sciences, as most of my work career (except for teaching) was outdoors, as I preferred.

One of the things I used to do on this blog was a series called "What a Geologist Sees" as a recognition of the paramount Scientific importance of Observation, coupled with Curiosity.  These posts, beginning in July 2007 were largely based upon things I had seen and places I had visited.   

As follows: 

Within the series, nine+ years ago I started to re-order the posts (it seemed to make sense at the time, as I was retiring my original blog to get rid of the distracting political posts, i.e., just to focus on the science).  Scrolling downward the series begins with 1, 2, 3, ... , to 25 (until I got distracted).  

For some reason, I skipped #26a on the Bisti Badlands (actually posted yesterday, 10/26/20), and the "unadjusted" Posts - with the original post date (as one scrolls down) descends from #37 (which was my contribution for a periodic consortium on an un-related geo-blog).  For forgotten reasons, #26b serves as an intro to #26a, #32 is slightly out-of-order and some of the "original post dates" seem out-of-order, as well.  As this was about 9 and 1/2 years ago, the reasons are a mystery.  (It was such a "different world" at the time.)  

[Disclaimer: If I have some things posted inaccurately, blame it on the morning, looming errands, chores, and senior moments amidst the chaos.]

I finished post #26a yesterday, just to give an example of what I was doing, from 2007 - 2011.  

Here is a basic Partial Index for "What a Geologist Sees" Posts #1 - #20.  (With a brief subject "thumbnail".)  

1. Observations from the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

2. Physical Geology Principles in the field.

3. Xenoliths in the Elberton Granite.

4. Georgia Piedmont Chattahoochee Paleogravels

5. Alluvial Fans

6. Grad School field trips, New Mexico.

7. Undergrad "Thesis", Georgia Piedmont. 

8. Mineral Characteristics, Identification.

9. Weathering of Rocks and Minerals.

10. Prolonged Drought Effects, Hall County, Georgia.

10b. Prolonged Drought Effects, Hall County, Georgia.

11. A "Bonanza Slab" of Fossils.

12. Shallow Aquifer Wells, Burke County, GA.

13. Kilbournes Hole Maar Volcano Tuff Ring.

14. Mantle Xenoliths in New Mexico and Arizona.

15. Xenoliths and Other Inclusions.

16. Muscovite as an Electrical Insulator.

17. Beach Ripples with Raindrop Impressions.

18. Tiny Spatter Vent, Aden Basalts.

19. Chief Mountain, Glacier National Park, Erosional Outlier.

20. Monument Valley Erosional Outliers, Arid Weathering

21 - 37 will be posted soon.   

No comments:

Post a Comment