Thursday, July 14, 2011

The "Science" of Stained Glass

Stained glass, as a hobby, was taught to me by a couple of friends about 30 years ago. I did a few panels and sold them in the El Paso area, then once I met my wife, I had other priorities.

I recently resurrected this hobby, in order to replace a clearlite that I was too cheap to "hire out" - to have done. I have plans for the other one, hopefully it will be finished in a few weeks.

The entire panel is 53" x 7", the longest panel I have ever done and the first in close to 25 years.  It turned out as I wanted it.  Random splashes of color, with interspersed sections of clear antique and glue chip.

The next one (to the left of the door) will be similar.  I thought of doing random splashes of color with slightly curved lines, but I decided that it might be "too different", i.e., too much contrast.

If I like the second one more, I thought about swapping this one to the left side, but handling such a long panel is risky and the copper foil joints are not as strong as the lead ones, so maybe I will just leave well enough alone.

Here is a close-up of the top.

Here is a close-up of the bottom.  I chose to make the lower 1 foot opaque, so the dog wouldn't be tempted to lean on it, if she saw something through the window (she has other windows for that purpose, to bark at squirrels, pedestrians walking their dogs, etc.).  She has actually broken through two smaller window panes to go chase squirrels.  I hope she has forgotten that "skill".

It may be a bit of stretch, but one could make a comparison of learning how to properly cut glass (and how to clean up all of the tiny flakes and slivers) to the practice of science principles. I will probably leave those details to a later discussion. Hope you enjoy the photos.

[Actually, I have included slivers of polished agate in some small, experimental glass panels before. Might do that again.]

No comments:

Post a Comment