Saturday, January 1, 2022

Welcome to 2022! - Part 1

In order to find and focus on the Positives, e.g., the personal successes and shortfalls (and what we have learned from them) of 2021 and plans for 2022, ...

In this time of seemingly-increasing madness, our own lives are the lives mostly-likely influenced by our own personal choices and deeds.  Positive choices can provide a modicum of serenity and positive outcomes (even small ones) can provide a sense of achieving "small victories", even if they are only victories over our own bad habits and self-doubts.  

There has been some research that suggests that seemingly-small accomplishments may provide to our brains little doses of Oxytocin, i.e., that relieved feeling of "Hey, I got that done." and provide a basis and confidence for addressing another self-identified concern or task.  Especially if you sense that someone else had doubts that you would actually finish the task.  (Even without saying it, in your own mind, you "proved them wrong.")  

If you "begin" a series of tasks with one or two of your own choosing, when you finish them, the minor emotional lift may help you when you embark upon more-difficult, involved, and/or unwanted (but necessary) tasks, as well as any "unexpected" tasks.  

An example of an "accomplished goal" of 2021 - though not an "official New Year's Resolution" (that often fall by the wayside) - was the outdoor walking program suggested by my wife and begun last January.  As I hadn't engaged in a focused walking program since my "mall walking" of 2016, with my doctor's approval, I began gradually, only walking 12.35 miles that first month.  

With the initial "every other day" routine getting my leg muscles, feet, and knees acclimated to walking, within a week or two, I began walking every day (as my schedule allowed).  Within a short time, I silently resolved to average 67 miles (= to my age) per month for the entire year, a distance of 804 miles.  Except for four months, I exceeded that goal every month.  

Those exceptions - January, June (due to foot pain resolved by a Podiatrist visit), August (van preparation and embarking upon our 22-day "Great Northern Adventure"), and September ("vacation recuperation" and Georgia heat and walking re-acclimation) really "pulled my average down", necessitating a renewed sense-of-purpose.  With the cooling Fall weather and walking 124+ miles in November and 104+ miles in December, I reached my 67 miles-per-month average on December 30th. 

Benefits of the walking program were noticed by my doctor and friends.  After a diet-related 2020 weight loss of 15 lbs. (225 to 210), I was managing similar 2021 weight loss, until the dreaded late-November to New Year's Eve time, "where diets go to die" (my wife is a great cook).  Still, I managed to end the year with a 5 lb. (210 to 205) weight loss.  (Not quite I what wanted, but at least two years in the right direction.)

To close this New Year's blather, aside from the above benefits, a downside to my 67-miles-per-month walking program was in my book-reading regimen.  I usually read at least one book per month, but in 2021 I only managed four books total, plus two more in progress.  In another post, I will review all six books, all of which have ecology-related themes (sometimes indirectly though).  In 2021, five of the six books were purchased from local used bookstores and thrift stores, and only one of the six books had I even heard of before.

I also plan to post more "original content" material and not so much of other peoples' Youtube videos.  The problem is, "original content" takes time to write and edit and I want a somewhat steady stream of posts, to keep myself on track to resume a writing project (about my 1974 Road Trip) which was suspended after my wife's September 2019 car accident, in which she was rear-ended at an Athens, Georgia red light.  

Since 1979, she has been rear-ended eight times and has also broadsided a "stop sign runner", i.e., none of them were her fault.  As she is in her mid-60s, there has been a cumulative, negative effect on her overall health, which is why it is difficult for her to drive or ride for 6+ hours in our van, despite the seats being comfortable.  This limits our vacation travel and is a reason why we missed visiting Devils Tower while we were in the Black Hills area.

No comments:

Post a Comment