Saturday, January 8, 2022

Top 100 Preps to Buy at THE HOME DEPOT


By way of human nature, most of us are at least somewhat unprepared for sporadic events that range from inconveniences to disasters.  Some call it "normalcy bias", i.e., if things are OK, we tend to think they will stay OK.  

Being constantly fearful is not a healthy practice, but rational attentiveness (similar to maintaining air pressure in a car's spare tire and keeping a gallon jug of water, jumper cables, toilet paper, an emergency blanket, and perhaps a small shovel in your trunk) is a good idea.  It is up to the individual how far they wish to go and how to prioritize if you are constrained by a budget (as many are).  

Some of these things I have learned from my outdoor fieldwork projects as a Geology grad student and various outdoor jobs since then (I prefer working outdoors).  While in the "Desert Southwest", especially during 1978 Field Work in the Eagle Mountains of West Texas and my 1979 Summer Job in the Bisti Badlands of NW New Mexico, I lived in the camper of my 4x4 Jeep pickup.

I haven't watched this entire video yet, there is some sort of downloadable pdf form, but it seems to require accessing some sort of app.  Because of the increasing loss of privacy and constant cyber threats, I don't like to add any more apps than I already have.  Do as you wish, though I think I will just sit with a legal pad and take notes, "the old-fashioned way".  

With my past participation (as a teen and later as a Dad) in the sadly now-degraded Boy Scouts and the Civil Defense program in the 1960s, I probably have some of these items already, though probably not as well organized or updated as they should be.  Assembling and maintaining First Aid kits in home and cars is an ongoing responsibility.  (As are others, I am guilty of "raiding" First Aid kits for routine Band-Aids and Tylenol tablets, without refreshing and replenishing the supplies.)

I am certain that websites and videos abound with information on prioritizing and gradually gathering supplies.  Do a little rational research.  Rather than allowing media-induced hysteria to control your life, if you have a rationally-responsible initiation (a first step) to this process, you may be "better off" than most.  Rather than going "whole hog" and buying $1,000 worth of survival food right away, do some research, first.

Perhaps also make a list of any free or low-cost training courses in First Aid, CPR, etc., sometimes offered by churches, civic groups, and/or local municipalities.  So, resolve to make some sort of "first step" today.

No comments:

Post a Comment