Saturday, April 2, 2022

A Few Days in New Mexico ...

Well, unlike the other "A Few Days ..." segments posted so far, to introduce a few days of videos and posts, I can't say anything in reference to New Mexico being personally largely neglected and overlooked, though there are some "Bucket List" places I would like to revisit with my digital cameras.  Of the number of "nights spent" in particular states, it looks like New Mexico is #3.

1. Georgia 

2. Texas

3. New Mexico (estimated)

4. Arizona (estimated)

5. Oklahoma (estimated) 

I have been to all "four corners" of New Mexico (having been to the Four Corners Monument", I am speaking figuratively about the other three), with the SW Corner the least visited (to my great regret), just driving through between El Paso and Bisbee, AZ in November 1979.

In mid-2015, my first visit to NE New Mexico was spent 
visiting Clayton Lake State Park, followed by hours wandering the Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field.  As I was due in Albuquerque that evening, other than the Raton K-T Boundary site, the small dike crossing I-25, and some faulting in outcrops of the San Andres Limestone, I wasn't able to spend as much time in the area north and northeast of Santa Fe, as I would like. 

I have blogged before about the U.S. Hwy 66/I-40 corridor, another place I would like to spend more time in.  It truly is the "Land of Enchantment".

Because of the Geologic and personal importance of New Mexico, I have blogged about the state numerous times.  Here are a few prior New Mexico entries/posts:

White Sands National Monument

Bisti Badlands, San Juan Basin

Recurring Themes, Including New Mexico Experiences

Geo-Learning, Including Clayton-Raton Volcanic Field

What a Geologist Sees: Part 27

Get Your Kicks on Route 666 - Part 2 (Shiprock and More)

Get Your Kicks on Route 666 - Part 1 (Not my video)

Sky Island - New Mexico's Jemez Mountains

Carrizozo Basalts

Personal Photos of New Mexico Volcanic Features (Some labeled for Educational Purposes

A Post on Diatremes and Maar Volcanoes, including New Mexico Maar Volcanoes

Albuquerque to Gallup (Includes Albuquerque Volcanoes and other Geologic Sites along I-40 West)

A Video on New Mexico Volcanoes (Not my video)

New Mexico's Dynamic Geology  (Not my video)

My 1979 Summer Job in the Bisti Badlands (All photos are mine)

There are more New Mexico posts, scattered through my blog archives, but finding them and cleaning up scattered glitches takes time.

No comments:

Post a Comment