Monday, October 25, 2021

What’s so great about the Great Lakes? - Cheri Dobbs and Jennifer Gabrys



During my lifetime, I have lived exclusively in Georgia (about 54 years) and Texas (14 years), and the bulk of my relatives and in-laws from both marriages live scattered from Georgia to Arizona, with the exception of some of my second wife's relatives that live around Traverse City, Michigan.  That being the case, with the exceptions of various vacations and road trips, e.g., 1973, 1974, 1977, 1981, 1982, and 1983, most of my journeys have been across the "Southern Tier" of states. 

As a follow-up to posts about my second wife and I spending a few days in the area of the Great Lakes in August, another video is offered for the purpose of increasing knowledge about "just how special the Great Lakes are". 

On this August 2021 journey, we saw and photographed Lakes Michigan, Huron, and Superior and I stuck my hand into all three of them, partially fulfilling a Bucket List item.  (On August 12th, we wanted to visit the Michigan Lake Erie shoreline, but afternoon traffic was "looming large" and my wife's back was hurting, thus getting to Frankenmuth, Michigan at a decent hour was a vital goal.)

Prior to this journey, though my first wife Marla and I visited Niagara Falls in 1983 (before we were married), I was under the impression that I hadn't visited nor seen any of the Great Lakes.  Being "young and in love" (we had met about two months earlier) I didn't engage in much Geology during our 1983 trip, other than our visiting Luray Caverns in Virginia.

That being the case, I didn't give much thought to actually visiting either the nearby Lakes Ontario or Erie.  Prior to reaching the immediate Niagara Falls area, we had been in downtown Dunkirk, NY to visit the now-defunct Fred Koch Brewing Co., but I don't recall if we could see Lake Ontario from our vantage points at or near the brewery.

Now, after watching several videos on Niagara Falls, the Great Lakes, and Lake Ontario (in particular), I have come to understand that Niagara Falls is part of the Great Lakes Ecosystem and perhaps by some definitions, the Niagara Falls "Plunge Pool" might be the "headwaters" of Lake Ontario.

So, here's hoping that this video is educational and entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment