Wednesday, August 11, 2021

The Geography of the Ice Age



I have added this video and the one for tomorrow, for if all has gone accordingly, we will be within the geographic area covered by the Quaternary Laurentide continental glaciers when we crossed the Ohio River at Cincinnati. 

I have been in such areas before, from Michigan (1981), Wisconsin & Minnesota (1982) eastward to New Hampshire and Maine (1977, 1981, 1983) and NYC (2009, and 2010). During most of those times, I was distracted by other things and only devoted photographic time to glacial features in Wisconsin (1982), and Central Park, NYC (2009 & 2010).

Sadly, after devoting time to finding and photographing glacial features in Wisconsin, e.g., Drumlins, Eskers, and such, I lost all of my "glacier" 35 mm slides.  I stopped in a highway rest stop to change film in my Pentax MX camera and somehow, I forgot to reel in the exposed film back into its cartridge before opening the back of the camera.  The photos from most of the Wisconsin breweries (on other rolls) were OK, but the glacial geology images were all gone.  (It wasn't the first time I could have used a reserve camera to have a few duplicate images.)

As for the 2009 & 2010 Central Park photos, those are of "Glacial Erratics" and some "Bedrock Grooving" on the exposed metamorphic outcrops.  (Some other evidence might be present in the diverse rocks and minerals within the sand samples collected from the NJ side of the Hudson River.

So I am hoping to get glacial-feature photos from around Traverse City, MI as we will be there for several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment