Monday, December 14, 2020

Unakite and Epidote - Rocks in a Box 1


Unakite is one of my favorite rocks.  I like the color-contrasts between the component minerals, primarily the pistachio-green Epidote and the coral-pink Potassium Feldspar.  Any gray specks present are probably Quartz.  

Amongst those into Metaphysics, sometimes "Jasper" is used in conjunction with Unakite (touted for its healing properties), but it ain't Jasper (which is a reddish cryptocrystalline Quartz).  Unakite is a hydrothermally-metamorphosed Granite (or Granitic Gneiss) and its name is derived from the Unaka Mountains straddling the state line between Tennessee and North Carolina.  

In this particular video, the Unakite comes from the shores of Lake Superior and I have seen it referenced from Lake Huron, also.  In these places, the Unakite is derived from glacial sediments, "brought down" from Canada.  I often find small pieces of Unakite in some gravel parking lots in northeast Metro Atlanta.  

So if you see me apparently mesmerized, looking down at a local gravel parking lot, that is what I am looking for.  (I am so easily entertained.)  Virginia and New Jersey are also producers of Unakite.

No comments:

Post a Comment