Sunday, November 1, 2020

Willie Nelson - "Nothing I Can Do About It Now" [Live from Austin, TX]

 In my ongoing series: "Down Memory Lane, Lurching I Go, Again ... Parts 1 - 7", I have expressed repeated lamentations about not finishing my part of this Eagle Mts. project, (though I did go on to do a Master's Thesis in another volcanic setting associated with the Aden Basalts in southern New Mexico, a few years later.)

In light of these disappointments, I had posted an apt Willie Nelson philosophical view of this part of my past, but the video of "Nothing I Can Do About It Now" was withdrawn.  The disappointments will always remain, but they will never overshadow the learning adventures, memories, photographs, and experiences I enjoyed 41 years ago.

Revisiting the mountains and camping again at East Mill is a "Bucket List" item that can likely never be fulfilled - for a variety of reasons.  One reason, at age 65+ one simply shouldn't redo some of the things done at age 24.  Grinding around those mountain roads in 4-wheel drive at 10 mph, getting stuck in loose rocks, and having to dig and wedge rocks under the tires - to escape - for example, is the stuff of memories. 

So, it is best to focus on the learning opportunities of things that happened "then" and recounted "now".  Things that include Geology, Geography, Ecology, Environmental Science, Photography, History (I didn't even mention the roles Eagle Spring played (Underwood, 1980) at the northern end of the mountains, as a stagecoach stop and a place in which the "Buffalo Soldiers" took shelter as they were being chased by Victorio's renegades), ...

In that regard, I hope something positive is gained amidst my blatherings.

Reference:

Underwood, J.R., 1980  Eagle Spring Station on the San Antonio - San Diego Mail Line, in Dickerson, P.W., Hoffer, J.M., and Callender, J.F. (eds.) Trans Pecos Region (West Texas), New Mexico Geological Society 31st Annual Fall Field Conference Guidebook, pp. 311 - 314

No comments:

Post a Comment