Monday, November 9, 2020

Route 66 Series Ahead

 I mentioned before my intent to retire my other blog, "Itinerant Geologist" partially because I don't have time to do two blogs properly on a regular basis.  So I am transferring videos and posts gradually and intending to add material as I am doing that.

One of my "Bucket List" tasks is to traverse U.S. Hwy 66 from just outside Chicago westward to just outside Los Angeles.  [Personal note: Unfortunately, America's big cities seem to be getting too wacko for this "laid back country boy".]

On various journeys from 1973 -2017, I have intermittently traversed sections of U.S. Hwy 66 from the Los Angeles area eastward to Tulsa, Oklahoma.  It's possible that when I was in St. Louis in 1974, I might have briefly traversed a short section of U.S. 66 there, too.  

(BTW, over the years, sections of U.S. 66 have been "moved" or redesignated for various reasons by various Departments of Transportation and state legislatures, especially in response to the growing interstate highway system.)

With the exception of the California stretch, cumulatively I have covered most, if not all of that major segment of Highway 66 or at least parallel sections of interstate highways, e.g., I-40, I-44, etc..

As I was too young to be interested in the TV show "Route 66" when it was current and my Georgia home was nowhere near this historic highway, it was not on my personal "radar" until I was getting older and more cognizant of its historical and cultural importance.

Ditto with the "Lincoln Highway", most of which was further north than my typical travels.  I will try to keep U.S. 66 posts and videos to five to seven consecutive days at a time and drop in a few Lincoln Highway posts in between.  With new videos being periodically added to YouTube, it may be difficult to maintain a sense of geographic continuity.  It may be hard to also find the "perfect" U.S. 66 overview video.  But I will give it a try.   

No comments:

Post a Comment