Friday, November 6, 2020

Film extra from "Return to PrairyErth" : William Least Heat-Moon

 

See prior posts for additional information on "PrairyErth" and the Flint Hills Ecosystem in Kansas.

You may sense that I am "enamored" by William Least Heat-Moon.  Since being reintroduced to him by rereading "Blue Highways" in 2014, that may be the case.  I originally read this book when it debuted in 1982, at the suggestion of a close friend who happened to be working in a national-chain bookstore.

Doing an internet search after finishing "Blue Highways", I became aware of his subsequently-published books, and thus far I have read the following (though not in this order); "PrairyErth" (1991), "River-Horse" (1999), "Here, There, Elsewhere" (2013), "Roads to Quoz" (2008); and "Writing Blue Highways" (2014).

Figure 1.

The above photo is my "Nostalgic Wanderlust" image.  [This image is "burned into my mind" (in a pleasant way), whenever I spend time reading and thinking about William Least Heat-Moon's writings.]

I took the photo of New Mexico Hwy. 80 in Hidalgo County in November 1979, while on my way from El Paso to Bisbee, AZ.  (The image is looking S to SW.)  I was giving a friend a ride to spend the Thanksgiving weekend with her friends in Bisbee while I continued on to Phoenix to spend time with relatives there.

No comments:

Post a Comment