Wednesday, January 12, 2022

PHC Film: Soil is a living organism


Developing a working knowledge of Soil Science would be useful in gaining a better understanding of soil in the health of Ecosystems.  

From the minor "dabbling" in Soil Science terminologies and concepts, that I have done, Soil Scientists and Geologists should get together to clear up incongruities between our respective fields.  (I had noticed some of this while looking at local "soil maps" and trying to get a feel for how certain soil horizons/soil types correlated with particular Georgia Piedmont rock types.  Otherwise, we are not that "far apart", in my humble opinion.)

Years ago, when my son was in Boy Scouts, at a group campout, a Soil Scientist gave a lecture that was quite fascinating.  After a private conversation with him, I was under the impression that he might have a job opening, but I was mistaken.  He preferred to work alone and he rarely ever hired anyone for particular projects.  

It would have been an interesting "side experience" if at least a temporary job had arisen, sort of like the time I spent as a Land Survey Assistant in late-2014 and early-2015.  I like working outside and I like learning new things.  

Though I didn't quite fit in with the Surveyors, my supervisor liked me as - unlike the "young guys" - I showed up on time (7:00 AM) for work or more often early; When I had the choice, I only took 20 minutes for lunch instead of the allowed hour; and I didn't have to stop every 20 or 30 minutes for a smoke break as some of the others did.  (I had to bow out of that job after hurting my back at home.)  It was actually a job better suited for someone 25 - 30 rather than 60 - 61 (as I was at the time).  So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment