Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Ford Econoline Camper Van Conversion Ideas


Another van project with loads of good ideas.  [As a reminder, these videos belong to their own "authors".  When I am satisfied with my own videos, I will tell you.  When you click on  any of the "guest" videos, if you are pleased, click the "Like" icon, and perhaps subscribe to their channel to help them in at least a small way.]

From here on in this post, it's about our van.

After some life changes 10 years ago, I had to give away some (much) of the woodworking tools I had inherited from my Dad, e.g., a table saw, a radial arm saw, orbital sanders, and other such playthings.  With the layout of our current home in regard to the garage/driveway workspace and the basement workspace and our eldercare responsibilities, multistep van projects take a great deal of planning. 

In another post, I will have some more photos of our Van Go! Project.  ["Van Go!" was the cheezy name we selected because of my wife's interests in art.  She is a retired Occupational Therapist.]  As it is, the 1993 Ford F-150 Econoline Club Wagon interior is workable/useable for light camping on cross-country trips (which we want to do more of).  I like the "earth tones" of the interior wood trip and soft, light tan wall-covering.  

Figure 1.

But I feel that for the attractive interior treatment, there is wasted space behind the walls, and the individual hinged storage compartments are not as deep as they could be (even another three inches would help). This past spring for our Shakedown Cruise, I managed to get the inoperable fold-down sofa seat configured for a reasonably comfortable bed (Figures 2 & 3), but the steel framework beneath provided very little useable storage room (Figures 4 & 5).

Figure 2.  

I had to remove the "innards" of this bed to get it to lay down.  With sleeping bags and additional padding, it was not too bad. 
Figure 3.

Figure 4.

Figure 5.

The space-stealing frame (Figures 4 & 5) beneath the bed.  This had to go!

For our August 2021 Northern Excursion, I removed the old bed framework and built a reasonably-satisfactory sleeping platform, and removed the old VCR/TV screen.  (Shown in next Van Go! post.)  The interior accent lights are pretty but do not provide enough light to be functional, so regretfully they will be disconnected and replaced with some modern LEDs.

To close this out, one of the daunting tasks of taking on an interior upgrade project, as there is an initial "demolition stage" and if I disturb the useable interior space and features, I damn well better have a completion plan and supplies ready.  (As I have to answer to the "boss lady".)

No comments:

Post a Comment