Tuesday, September 22, 2020

Reasons for Ramblin' and Roamin'

 At the risk of this old rockhead repeating hisself ...

My intent with this blog was to use travels and related observations as "teachable geology moments" and/or "teachable life moments", i.e., to encourage others to observe, think, and be curious about what they see (while still safely driving).

In between times of introspection, make use of the internet to do some quick research and advance planning.  It is easier than ever.  Utilize it.

If you plan, then execute achieving a Bucket List desire, then make use of it (unless it is really deeply personal).  With self-publishing easier than ever, how might your planning and execution inspire someone to be better than they might have been otherwise?  In other words, when you "check something off your Bucket List", then make it a "teachable moment".

If on a journey to somewhere new (planned or spontaneous), make notes, even on something as simple as a $1 composition notebook.  Better now than trying to remember 40 years later.

I have a younger first cousin-once-removed - who is a globe-trotting educator (as it is difficult to maintain a large family on a teacher's salary in the United States).  Among the places his growing family has lived include The United Arab Emirates; a small town on the coast of Alaska; Saudi Arabia; Japan; and now back to Georgia. 

In light of my own failure to keep notes "along the way", at least during interesting times and travels, I have been after him for years to "write it down" so that as his six kids (I think) reach adulthood, they will have some sort of family "chronicle" to help them remember.  

I have a niece who has experienced a number of similar global address changes due to her husband's occupation.  My point here is that these younger relatives have already seen things that I have never seen (and will never see) and have lived in Asian, European, Middle-Eastern cultures. 

If my circumstances allow, I still hope to do some U.S. travel maybe within the next two years, but any international travel is not "in the cards" for a variety of reasons.  My most immediate desires are to see my second wife's hometown in Michigan and return to the Desert Southwest.  

A few years ago, I was invited to go to Hawaii with my sister's family, including her in-laws (great folks).  The actual airfare wasn't that bad, but when the rental house fees and island-to-island "hopping" costs (by air) were added-in, it was beyond my budget.  (They were staying on Oahu, and any Geologist "worth their salt" would have to make several trips to the "big island".)  So it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment