Wednesday, September 30, 2020

For Anyone Dropping In - Part 2

 I have been blogging for a while (since 2005?), in an earlier blog incarnation about science and politics, lately about science only on this site.  Though activity has sagged during the last few years, partially due to Facebook posts, including science posts and photos, things trundle on here. 

A current state of mind (angst?) urges me towards writing on this blog about the science of past travels and hoped-for future geo-travels (including perhaps some "Geo-Bucket List" travels), with my second wife (she enjoys nature photography, as I do).  With her, I no longer have to endure the frustrating question from travel companions "Why do you need to take 10 photos of that wildflower (or that rock outcrop)?"   (Not making value judgments upon others, but a fellow photographer understands these things.)

In some cases, this blog may take on characteristics of a "geo-travel blog", perhaps in an effort to encourage pre-preparation prior to a family journey.  With the current wealth of internet resources, some advance planning (reading) can offer added educational benefits, even with after-the-fact narratives about a vacation. 

Woven within descriptions of past travels may include additional thoughts and notes regarding "what I might do differently".  If I travel some of the same particular treks, if life and Providence allow,  I want to do it better.  And to write well about those travels.  (20/20 hindsight being what it is.)  As my interests have evolved beyond "just Geology" - as discussed below - other things will be covered.

I don't pretend to be any sort of international geo-traveler, my travels have only included a brief round-trip from central New Hampshire to Ottawa, Ontario 40 years ago and several field trips from El Paso southward into Mexico, between 1977 and 1990 (or so.)  

My most recent spate of travels (in mid-2015, mid-2016, and early 2017) have been in the wake of 1) Job transitions and the difficulties of finding meaningful full-time science-related work in my mid-60s; 2) My first wife's passing two years ago; 3) The moving of my daughter's family from the Atlanta area to Phoenix, two years ago; 4) The return of my daughter's family to the Atlanta area, earlier this year.  (Details as to Items 2, 3, and 4 have been related in earlier posts, for the sake of relevance.)

During my years (2001 - 2017) of employment as an adjunct instructor at several Atlanta-area and North Georgia junior colleges, teaching Environmental Science classes and leading field trips and nature hikes triggered within me a desire to improve my plant, wildflower, and animal ID skills.  The ability to ID at least some of what I see makes field trips and nature hikes more interesting and fulfilling.  Thus when I stop along a roadway for photos, I am as likely photographing plants and wildflowers, in addition to geological features.

Finally, this not an exercise - solely - in self-promotion or for  "graybeard" reminisces, but as an extension of teaching and promoting science education.  If I can at least provoke increased nature curiosity in readers, that will be a goal met, if that curiosity is followed-up with new learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment